Practice Your German
Watch German films (netflix), listen to German radio, podcasts or audio-books, and make it a habit to watch the German news daily (tagesschau.de).
Please check out the attached list (under construction) of suggestions to "lubricate" your German skills during breaks.
For more information download this file: FILMLISTE.doc
Test Your German + Understand the Various Levels of Proficiency
Caption: Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
BARD - German Placement Tests
GER - CORNELSEN Placement Test - Deutsch als Fremdsprache (free online)
This 30 - 40 minute test allows you to evaluate your language abilities in three steps:
1. In line with the Common European Framework you will be asked to estimate your own language level. ( Feel free to try out various levels offered by the Goethe Institute, referenced below.)
2. You will then answer a great variety of questions evaluating your reading, writing, grammar, and listening skills in various situations.
3. At the end of the test, you will receive a personal recommendation document (PDF) written in German.
Start the test here
WEBCAPE - Adaptive Placement Test($)
Bard College offers WebCAPE language placement exams, developed by the Humanities Research Center, Brigham Young University. The exam presents questions of different levels in reading, writing, and grammar, adapting the questions according to the students' answers. Once started, answer each question without interruption until the test is completed. Allow 15-20 minutes. The number of questions is not fixed—the exam will ask as many (or few) as necessary to determine your ability. For questions and access information, please contact Stephanie Kufner.
OTHER German Placement Tests
GOETHE INSTITUTE - Practicing for Language Examinations
The Goethe-Institut's German language examinations correspond to the levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and range from A1 for beginners to C2 for language skills at the highest level (Grosses Deutsches Sprachdiplom).The following links allow you to evaluate your own level and/or practice for language examinations at any Goethe-Institute testing location around the globe.
- Goethe Zertifikat A1 - Exam Training and additional Practice Material
- Goethe Zertifkat A2 - Exam training and additional Practice Material
- Goethe Zertifkat B1 - Exam training and additional Practice Material
- Goethe Zertifkat B2 - Exam training and additional Practice Material
- Goethe Zertifikat B2 - Exam training 03
- Goethe Zertifkat C1 - Exam training and additional Practice Material
- Goethe Zertifkat C2 - Exam training and additional Practice Material
Grosses Deutsches Sprachdiplom
The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: GDS allows foreign students to be admitted to colleges and universities in Germany. The examination is recognized as official proof of language competence for teachers throughout Germany. By passing this exam you demonstrate you can, for example,
- understand everything in German that you read and hear effortlessly
- summarize information presented to you from a variety of sources, written and spoken, and, in doing so, synthesize correlating arguments as well as explanations
- organically express yourself in a fluent and precise manner and articulate the finer nuances of complex arguments.